Interprocess Communication (IPC) under OSX

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Dec 19 13:43:17 EST 2017

On 2017-12-18 20:01, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
> In principle, the same code should work equally great under OSX, but it
> does not. And yes, if (and when) I have time, i will track down the
> bugs
> and report them, but at the moment I was hoping for a quick fix where
> someone else already on the list may have identified the OSX
> idiosyncrasies and had sample code that worked around them :-)

Hmmm - I have quite a long memory but it doesn't quite stretch as far
back as 4.6.4 these days so I can' say what might have changed on the
process related commands in versions since then.

I do know that there *were* significant bugs in process communication on
OS X for quite some time after I started working at LiveCode (well,
RunRev back then) - which gradually got fixed. I'm pretty sure that the
most recent versions (certainly since 6.x) should be working correctly
(- but I can't really say much about versions before then.

So I suspect the issues might be to do with the 4.6.4 side - rather than
the version on the other side (presumably 6.7.11?).

In terms of the changes to field indicies - 6.x still uses the same
unicode flag for style runs in the field that 4.6.4 uses - the data
inside the engine is the same, but the char indicies are not.

I'm pretty sure it would be possible to write a handler which takes the
styledText array of a field in 6.7.11 and a list of old indicies,
returning a list of new char indicies... Would that help?

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps