read larger data streams over sockets - broken?

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Wed Dec 6 23:36:38 EST 2017

On 12/6/17 6:12 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:
> May not mean anything for your use case, but I have built an in-house revision control system for InDesign documents… it's been in use for several years after the death of Adobe VersionCue (which was a night mare anyway) our team loves it: super simple, never fails, we never lose data, ever.
>
> I use shell commands for everything.  not sure why you need sockets if you are just copy files around…from our Macs to the Synology server in the next room…

Right, a NAS device can work very well as it obviously does in your
situation. Unfortunately this a point of sale (and more) business system
where we want to control how much access the users have to the data,
especially regarding things like customer credit card info. So we don't
want to have the server mounted on each user's desktop (as would be
required with a NAS) where they can just go in and poke around.

But thanks for your offer!

Phil

> my long stack script just manages different
>
> put format "mv \"someFile\", \"newFileName\"  # into cmdRename
> and
> cp # similar strings
>
> then
>
> get shell cmdRename
>
> and the OS does everything..
>
> If you want to see the stack you are welcome. It's being used (or was) by some publication team in Singapore for the same work.
>
> On 12/6/17, 1:52 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Phil Davis via use-livecode" <use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com on behalf of use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
>      Is anyone else having problems with moving multi-MB data streams across
>      sockets in LC 8?
>
>      I support a LAN-based system that relies on sockets to move data between
>      server and clients. The server's response to a single client request
>      will often consist of several hundred KB to several MB of data. Until LC
>      8 the successful approach has been:

Phil Davis