Map Widget Futures

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Wed Dec 6 19:56:45 EST 2017

Thanks for replying Ali

I wasn't thinking of overlays, though that could be useful and would obviously be an early enhancment request.

message path:  Presumably "markers" are in the msg path… i.e. like buttons, and would respond to mouseup/down/touch. That would suffice for my V1 vision of use cases. Though I guess without overlays we are forced to abrupt changes on the screen if we want the map to be a portal to ther data…but… leave that for V2…

Today's question is not about overlays… the question is: "What is the map object?"

Where does it come from and can we supply some alt document… for example, if one had an artist create

The WonderFul World of Ali, i.e. a fantasy map…in SynFig Studio… one could export to a vector format.

How do we make this the map "object"  Other more prosaic uses could be: complex diagrams that cover "hectares/square miles" of space… the map of Oxford University campus… Tolkein's Middle Earth etc. engineering diagram with various parts of some machine all laid out on one complex, very large "map"  -- giant SVG's. giant in the sense of being created on a canvas in your illustration software set to 4 feet by 4 feet… which then can export to vector… scale up or down, but at that size one can work in areas with a lot of detail… and create a "Villiage of Hobbits" off in the corner…

Here for example is a very simple test SVG export from a small inexpensive program that I like called "Diagrammix"

http://dev.himalayanacademy.com/html/info/img/site-map.svg

so what comprises the map "object" and what is the scope of its format, properties etc. Obviously the developer has to source the map object from somewhere, in some format.