LC Server style survey: co-mingle code w/HTML?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Dec 6 14:32:10 EST 2017

Rick Harrison wrote:

 > If it were up to me to run On-Rev, I would make
 > sure that it was always up to date, or offered
 > easy ways to keep everything up to date.  You’d
 > never hear me threaten anyone to take away their
 > account if they didn’t keep some piece of software
 > up to date.  If that software poses a security risk,
 > as a good steward, I would take care of that issue
 > for my clients so they wouldn’t be at risk.

You use Wordpress.  I use Drupal.  Someone else uses Joomla.  Then
there's the vast range of other things people can add to their account.

Where does a hosting company draw the line with what they can afford to
directly support by managing what goes on inside of 200 accounts per
machine?

Or do they take the safest option and disallow everything other than a
small subset of packages they directly manage?

Web hosting is a very difficult business, which is why we've seen so
much consolidation over the years.

The most successful companies (the ones that survived the shakeout of
the last decade and are still around to grow) tend to work as Simon
described: unmanaged services require a responsibility from the user,
managed services take care of those things but at a much higher price.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems