LC Server style survey: co-mingle code w/HTML?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Dec 5 20:23:20 EST 2017

Simon Smith wrote:

 > Personally I do prefer to mix HTML / code together.

If you mix them together with the implied extended merge of LC Server
rather than an explicit merge with LC Script, I'm afraid nothing in my
toolkit can help.

 > I don't think it right to say it is a PHP way to do things though :)

What other languages work that way?

In LC Script the primary execution object is a script, which can
optionally pass data to be merged with an explicit call to the merge
function.  This pattern seems more common, e.g. Ruby, Lua, Python, and
of course SuperCard's Flamethrower project which introduced the merge
function to the xTalk world.

With PHP (and LC Server), the primary execution object is assumed to be
a web page, with code optionally embedded in it and the merging happens
as an implicit part of the processing.  I can't think of any other
languages that work that way.  Am I missing some?

I don't have a judgment about it either way.  A lot of people like PHP,
and given the range of things people make with it (nearly every major
CMS and a lot of other server frameworks where the browser is the
primary target) it seems to do well.

The only reason I'm distinguishing the style in this thread is that LC
Server's page-centric code is incompatible with LC Script on the
desktop, and my tools run on the desktop.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems