Why is node.js faster than LC server?

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Mon Dec 4 12:53:08 EST 2017

IMHO opinions it is not fair to compar NodeJS and LC Server on merits of
performance because they are really different beasts, I will try to digress
a little about why I think this below.

NodeJS is the union of two things, one of which is the lightning fast JS
Engine from Google called V8 and the other is libuv for handling events.
This works well because JS has always been an asynchronous language on the
front-end. This leads to a programming style that is not as straight
forward as the one we're used. We had the "callback hell" in JS for a long
time where the request for doing something was decoupled from the response
of that call, it worked well but it was hard to follow. That was made
easier with the introduction of "Promises" which you may know as "Future"
from other languages which made the asynchronous flow more explicit and
easy to follow and now finally there are async/await calls like the ones
from C#. All this changes both inside the language itself and on top of it
in form of syntatic sugar serves one purpose only, give the developer good
ergonomics while keeping the code asynchronous/non-blocking.

LiveCode is not an asynchronous language. It has some APIs that work
asynchronously when we want them to, but it is not a non-blocking engine.
All our "PUT URLs" calls are blocking, which is one of the reasons that
early attempts (or toys like the ones I built) to ship an LC based Web
Server suffer from an easily DDOS architecture. Languages don't need to be
non-blocking or asynchronous to be good. LC is good. NodeJS is also good.
They are not necessarily good for the same stuff though.

Also remember that NodeJS uses V8 which along with Mozillas own
SpiderMonkey engine has strong JIT features and can basically compile your
source at runtime into x86 instructions (at least the hot parts of the
code). There are millions invested in JS engine, both in terms of money and
in terms of developer-hours. It is not something easily replicable unless
of course you're a robot from the future like Mike Pall is and build LuaJIT
alone (an engine that for a long time outperformed every other JIT engine).

Your original email about scaling anything to millions of users doesn't
outline some needs of working at that scale. Most of us don't work on that
scale. That kind of scale, is the kind where people start looking at how a
database places stuff in RAM so that fetches are easier by just multiplying
funky pointers, the kind of scale where a node balancer and a devops team
on call is necessary just for your development server to be alive and
useful.

LC Sever works pretty well if you have thousands of users, you just need to
be able to shift some gears and use the client-side of the web better. A
PWA that talks with an LC Server will require much less power on the
server-side than a server rendered one like what we usually build here. If
you have millions of users, then you can scale horizontally by adding more
servers...

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 3:13 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <

http://www.andregarzia.com -- All We Do Is Code.
http://fon.nu -- minimalist url shortening service.