Livecode Content Management System

Simon Smith hello at simonsmith.co
Fri Dec 1 14:20:26 EST 2017

Hi

I have played with this a bit, and got pretty far for a proof of concept
for an ecommerce project I was working on. I stopped working on it when I
left the company I was working for.

I did not use rev igniter since I wanted it to function as it's own
framework and I think it just makes the coding simpler in the end. I was
not coding it in the IDE but rather my text editor (sublime), it just works
so nicely for web projects =) and I have not really had any problems with
debugging in the browser.

I got pretty far with it. Creating pages, posts products etc, Had a WYSIWYG
editor (TinyMCE) along with a simple image uploader / manager. Themes
worked and kinda had I have an idea on how to handle some type of plugin
architecture. It was working pretty well for the project I was developing
it for. I have since then started cleaning it up  and making it more of a
generic CMS but time is my biggest problem  :(. The idea was / is to have
an alternative CMS that I could use for when WordPress was not a good fit
for a website.

I have also done a much simpler "CMS" in LC for my blog. It's just 1 lc
file and an sqlite database and does pretty much everything I need. Still
needs a bit of cleaning up, but I am quiet happy with the way it turned out
and how easy it was code.

To answer your question:

1) Apart from time, l did find that there were a few PHP functions that
would have be very useful  to have in LiveCode but I could work around
pretty much all the problems I had.
2) Everything has its place. WordPress is a fantastic CMS and capable of
much more than most people realise but does have it's limits.
3) Unfortunately I don't have much rev igniter experience, but I have never
been fond of using frameworks in web projects.

If everything was working smoothly and quickly, I don't think it is
necessary to remove rev igniter and I would far rather work with a text
editor and debug in the browser than in the IDE.

While WordPress is a very popular CMS (can't deny that) it can become very
user unfriendly very quickly, and not to mention slow. Clients are usually
happy to accept alternative solutions if they will make their lives easier
(even if they are simpler and lack all the functionality of a more popular
CMS. It is amazing how much faster a CMS can be once you strip out all the
unneeded functionality.

Simon

Carpe diem

*Simon Smith*
m. +27 83 306 7862

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 3:56 AM, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode <