Bad Crash on Attempt to Group Radio Buttons

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Aug 27 21:21:54 EDT 2017

Mark Wieder wrote:

 > On 08/27/2017 04:49 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
 >> Drawing != development.
 >
 > Maybe I'm only partially understanding this then. My take on this is
 > that the cantSelect property really only comes into play when the
 > edit tool (or whatever it's called these days if it's not
 > development) is active.

Aye, there's the rub: the tool's name is "pointer", introduced into our
family of languages by SuperCard in 1989 and continued into MC when it
was born in '92.  The name was chosen to reflect the cursor image choice
that goes with it, a more traditional app-like look from the
HyperCard-specific browse mode with its hand icon.

Just about any vector layout program (MacDraw, PageMaker, Word, etc.)
uses a mode like that for selecting, moving, and resizing vector objects.

 > So you have full edit capability, and that goes beyond just
 > drawing or moving objects around on the screen.

What is "full edit capability"?

The pointer tool, like any of the tools, is just an interaction mode.

Any capabilities beyond manipulating layout are defined by your scripts.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems