Sending a message to users that floats above everything

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Aug 22 14:57:38 EDT 2017

I did roll my own but it isn't possible to get it quite right. It's
called a "toast" because it pops up/slides up from the bottom of the
screen and then slides back down again. Doing it in LCS requires visual
effects which break the effect if there is anything under the sliding
area; everything in that rectangle animates. The hack can only be used
on a blank area of the card.

A native toast is required, with the added benefit that it really does
display on top of everything else without any layer-adjustments.

BTW, if you're interested in Android terminology, a toast-like message
that reaches from edge to edge on the screen is called a "snackbar". Go
figure. Snackbars are like toasts except that they are dismissed by
swiping and can provide buttons for user interaction.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com