Using Find with Shell on Mac

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Aug 9 20:26:46 EDT 2017

On 10/08/2017 01:10, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode wrote:
> You should put quotes around the "*.livecode", because
>
> find ~/ -iname "*.livecode" -print
>
> will do what I think you want to do.
>
> Whereas if you do,
>
> find ~/ -iname *.livecode -print
>
> the  *.livecode   is seen by, and interpreted by, shell - and so
> expands to the livecode files in your home directory. You need to put
> quotes around it so that it is passed as a string to the find command,
> which can then use it to match names.

That's not quite right - it will be the files in your *current*
directory, not your home directory. In the case of the msg box, that
will be your home directory - but doing it from terminal, it will be
whatever directory you happen to be in at the time - so that's why it
would give different results.
Alex.