Made with . . .

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Aug 2 19:47:21 EDT 2017

I'm not sure the learning of C and its relatively difficulty was the point here.

Find me a book on C which teaches you how to create a window, show a button and have that button pop up a modal dialog which says 'hello world' on Android, HTML5, iOS, Linux, Mac and Windows then *that* would be interesting (if only to show how ridiculous using C to write user facing applications is!)

Oh, and also, they have to be 'bare OS metal' - ie from scratch - only core libraries on all platforms allowed (so no wxWidgets, QT or whatever!) and also they need to teach enough to be able to get you to understand enough to do a great deal more than that trivial case.

Only when you consider it from that point of view does the true power - relative to C - of LiveCode (and very high level languages) become apparent.

Ah - and you'll also need to write the (shell) scripts to build your app and run it!

Having books which 'teach you' a language is one thing - having books which could teach you to do what LiveCode does for you would actually be a library. LiveCode does a lot of stuff for you so you can actually focus on what you are wanting to achieve.

After all there's a huge gap between being able to write English; and being able to write a novel in English which someone would want to buy.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

P.S. I didn't write the above to dispute your point - merely to use it to hint at a deeper truth... Which Richmond's pupil realised and hence bought chocolates as a result :)

Sent from my iPhone