Hackintosh

Lagi Pittas iphonelagi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 18:13:52 EDT 2017

Frankly I don't agree with "protection" that causes problems to the
legitimate user.

In all my years of writng bespoke software I ALWAYS placed a copy of the
source on the CEO machine and told them (for no extra) . If I got run over
by a bus then the company wouldn't be at a loss - there are many
Foxpro/Delphi programmers around.

The system that I have written with Livecode - A POS if you must know I
have put in  the simplest of protections.

Each copy has the name and address of the company in a few columns in
table. I have a separate program to setup the name and address - I save ALL
but the name in the clear. The Name is saved with 128/256 bit encryption.
When the program starts it  reads the fields and decrypts the name, and  if
it is not a valid name the system can do what it wants. Personally it says
Unregistered copy and my Phone number on the Customer display and on
receipts and takings.

The only reason I put this in was that one of my customers said a cash
Register person was asking questions.

I have split up the test in to  two different areas because I know from
experience how you crack programs (it was better than playing games on an
Apple ][ - well except for Choplifter, Threshhold and Pacman).

You just find the code where the test is and jump over it - except that in
this case the name will not be correct so they will have to patch the byte
code as well - and that is protected as well.

There is another sneaky way if and when I can be bothered. Allow them to
enter name and address within the program save it. When the program starts
up let them think it's ok - but check every time and count down for a month
or 2 - Then tell them they are rumbled not overtly but with a "Program
Error " that needs your support.
There is a lot of fun using this very simple method that can still take
ages to crack. In fact with Livecodes send <zzzz> to command you can split
up the checks and make it random as well.

Frankly all protections can be removed I gave up one night when after going
through 3 levels of protection from the boot sector to other sectors then a
routine in memory that said for "$149.95 you can go to sleep tonight" - It
was 3 in the morning and I went to bed after having a good laugh - never
did any more cracking after that.

Oh and that was a protected LISA assembler disk I had purchased so it
wasn't about saving money. - I had already made a backup using a bit copier
but I wanted a non copyprotected version and some "fun" deprotecting it.

The people who copy your stuff are your free advertising. Case in point I
was given a Clipper Summer 85  Disk by a programmer friend - I hated DBase
it had no validation and was too Basic. I tried Clipper for a Week. I then
Purchased Same for £695.00 in 1985 - when that was lot of money - they got
a sale because there was absolutely no protection.

Finally to round this off. In the early days Microsoft managed to dethrone
lotus by just having a license number instead of a protected disk so all
the students and companies could copy word/excel. Once you learn something
and go into the workplace you take your skills with you.

After a year or two they allowed you to become "legal" for an upgrade price
of  under £100  I think it was - when Lotus was still selling 123 for
Nearly £500 and all the upgrade did was check that word/excel/office was
installed on your machine - didn't matter if it was legit or not.

Then Microsoft slowly increased prices ......

On 2 August 2017 at 22:24, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <