Mark in a kilt...

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 15:53:18 EDT 2017

On 8/2/17 5:56 pm, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
> <snip>
> a real Scottish clan.
<snip>

And what would a "real" Scottish clan be, forbye?

Personally I wear a green kilt in "Hunting McIntosh" (invented in 1952)
because my father's family are originally Scandinavian
and my maternal Grandfather's name was Richmond McIntosh. He never wore
a kilt, but, occasionally wore tartan trews in some generic plaid.

My paternal grandfather's folk never wore kilts.

My paternal grandmother's father wore a sort of muddy brown/bottle green
kilt that he picked up in a cheap Army surplus shop.

Most tartans were "fixed" to names by the Sobieski Stewarts: 2 crafty
Polish businessmen who landed in the Cromarty Firth claiming to be the
legitimate
heirs to His majesties Charles III and Henry IX (which is nonsense
because the heir general to the Jacobite line is Franz Herzog von
Bayern): they
set up a tartan factory and started churning out "authentic" clan kilts
faster than you can say "Donald Trump".

McIntosh are a sept of the Clan Chattan (clan of the cat) federation
that held feudal power in a large swathe of central Alba for some time.
Beyond the chief (Lachlan Mackintosh; a poncy sort of fellow who teaches
English in Singapore when he isn't wiggling his spindle shanks round Moy
house)
there are no "official" clans . . .

All this reminds me of 2 jokes:

1. A man in Carbondale who certainly looked as if at least some of his
ancestors had "enjoyed" a forced trip over the Atlantic from the Barbary
coast
assured me he was 100% American (a bit like Donald Trump, Barack Obama
and Bill Clinton).

2. I can assure I am a "real" Scot as:

2.1. I was born in Scotland.

2.2. My mother is half-English, half-Scots, my father is 100% Scots
(with a Scandanavian name).

2.3. I went to school in England and spent all my childhood there.

2.4. I have red hair: which I inherited from my English grandmother (who
had Norwegian ancestry), as all my Scots relatives had either jet-black
or lint-white
hair.

2.5 I own a house in Scotland (right next door to a man from California).

2.6 There is a story (unchecked and uncheckable) that, on my paternal
great-grandfather's side there was a woman from Ethiopia a few
generations back.

It might also be worth reflecting that for quite a long period the
biggest kilt factory in the world was in the Yukon (presumably also a
part of Scotland).

Oh, and while I'm here: my wife is a "pure" Bulgarian as many of her
family came from Macedonia with Albanian as their mother-tongue.

Lots of Irishmen wear kilts.

Macedonians sometimes wear kilts.

People in Bhutan and Tonga wear kilts.

People in Kerala wear long kilts called lunghis.

NOW: go and make your ANSWER DIALOGS tartan (Hunting Macintosh [oh, and
you can spell 'McIntosh' at least 3 ways] of course):

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29541&start=15#p156507

Richmond.