The selectedObjects - is it a container or not?

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Mon Apr 17 15:07:13 EDT 2017

I have a stack where the user is allowed to select vector objects. For this example, let’s assume some objects are already selected.

I am using LC 8.1.4 rc1 on a Mac running Sierra, and I  have a bit of code that says in part:

    if the selectedObjects is not empty then
      repeat with i = 1 to the number of lines of the selectedObjects
      …

This results in an error “source is not a container”.

OTOH, if I change the second line to

     repeat with i = 1 to the number of lines of (the selectedObjects0

the code works as expected.

If I execute in the message box:

   put the number of lines of the selectedObjects

I sometimes get no result and sometimes “source is not a container”, but if I change the line to:

    put the number of lines of (the selectedObjects)

I always get the right answer.

Am I being stupid, or is this a bug?

Graham