iOS "Invalid Entitlements"

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Sun Apr 9 11:02:37 EDT 2017

Thank you Panos; back on track here.

IMHO in future might lead with this solution on any query about entitlements. Assume user has enough experience to use cmd line until further notified.

but here's my harrowing tale, in case it is helpful…

I went in unusual circles yesterday: I had reverted my whole app to a commit made on GIT on the 17th of March, and moved back to using 8.1.3, because I thought our "nightly" branch that I was working on in 9dp5 was irrevocably corrupted..

that’s where (old commit in 8.1.3)  I was unable to do a build with the latest provisioning profile and SA settings applied to the main/binary stack.  (see my email to support, which is resolved now).

using codesign and security cmd for the app that was built on that old commit with 8.1.3: did not show any problems with entitlements… still it would not load without the invalid entitlements error.

Aside: the stack files of my main stack were quite messed up from cherry picking this stack and moving it from branch to branch etc.  it listed files that did not exist in the tree; one script I added to the tree was a .livecodescript that did not have the proper declaration on line 1.. etc. This whole stack files business needs more thought/refinement for a collaborative GIT environment.  (anyone solve this? please post as separate thread on handling your stack files via GIT.)

So I spent half a day getting nowhere in this old commit "roll-back" branch, using 8.1.3 stable

OK I thought,"we have nothing to lose here, it is only getting worse. Let me go back to the nightly branch in 9dp5, because I know I was able to build iOS standalones with that mainstack in 9dp5…" (despite other issues)

 So I  commit all my changes to the "roll-back" branch; check out nightly; do a thorough examination of my stack files and the working tree. clean up everything there. Save, go to SA settings, by now the provisioning profile had changed… so I selected the new provisioning profile (same one that was used for the build on the "roll-back" branch in 8.1.3)  and built the standalone… got the usual first session failure to find resource (can you PLEEEZE fix that?) ran it again, got a successful build. cross fingers, go to xCode to add to my phone and BOING!@ it works now.  Yay!

OK so I run codesign against that build; and also security cms against that same build/embedded.mobileprovision

now, here's the "kicker" :- the output is *exactly* the same as the build that was created in 8.1.3 that fails with the invalid entitlements error message!

 But, built now with 9dp5  it works. My "gut" is telling me that either the main stack/or the cRevStandalonesettings in the rollback commit is corrupt very deep internally OR  8.1.3  is doing something wrong when building the standalone.  Really just a hunch, could be totally wrong.

But the good news is: having your stack files not matching the working tree seems to have been a big problem… because now, I have 100% fully functional, no bugs app on my iPhone. Jai Ganesha! after a full week of spinning… we are back on track!

now, off to test on  Android…

Thank God for a GIT work flow!