savingStandalone message

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Nov 15 12:14:36 EST 2016

Ben Rubinstein wrote:

 > Paul, I'd think that your needs (which certainly overlap with
 > mine...) could be met by adopting Ali's suggestion in that report
 > of a single message with parameter to indicate which platform was
 > being built for, if there was an additional parameter to indicate
 > that several standalones were being built at
 > once. Even if it was as crude as:
 > 	savingStandalone  "Windows", 1, 3
 > 	savingStandalone  "iOS", 2, 3
 > 	savingStandalone  "Android", 3, 3
 >
 > That would allow work to be done for the general case to be coded
 > once, even if it actually ran three times; platform-specific cases
 > to be handled; and if you wanted to do something like increment a
 > build number to be the same across platforms, you could increment
 > only for the "1/3" case.

Agreed.  Parameters allow for simpler implementation while still
delivering platform differentiation.

I'm less certain about the count params, and would favor a build number.
  But that would require that all of us use build numbers, and perhaps
some don't, so I'm not opposed either.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems