savingStandalone message

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Tue Nov 15 13:51:47 EST 2016

On 15/11/2016 17:14, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> I'm less certain about the count params, and would favor a build number.
> But that would require that all of us use build numbers, and perhaps some
> don't, so I'm not opposed either.

To be clear, which I may not have been, my proposal was that the parameters
should allow the message handler to know
	- what platform this standalone is being built for
	- how many standalones are being built in a single pass, and whether this is
the first, last, or somewhere in between

The latter was really to support Paul's requirement to increment a build
number, which would be the same for all the standalones built in that pass,
but would be incremented on the next pass. There are certainly other ways to
achieve this.

If you're proposing that the LC IDE maintain a build number for every stack,
that might save a bit of effort for some sub-set of the audience which uses
build numbers; but for those who for whatever reason use build numbers or
similar in some scheme incompatible with the one provided, it might make
workarounds more complicated. I certainly wouldn't object to it as an
additional feature!

Ben