Sound and video on Windows - help needed urgently

Tore Nilsen tore.nilsen at me.com
Fri May 13 18:03:31 EDT 2016

I have a group of students up for national exams in computer science in late May. In Norway, high school students bring their own computers to the classroom and to their exams. One of my students has a PC with Windows 10 installed. She reports that she is unable to use the player object on her computer.

We do not know what tasks they will have to do for their exams until the day of the exam, but previous exams have always contained one task where students are asked to incorporate sound or video in their application. In previous exams this task will have the students prepare a media file (sound or video) and use it for different purposes like a background track for a slide-show, a popUp window to show videos or as a timed soundtrack for an animation.

In situations where the player object may be visible, we can always use a browser-widget to complete the task. However, in situations where the end user should not be able to control the player object directly, or where the player object for other reasons needs to be invisible, this is not a solution for this particular student.

Does anyone know if setting the dontuseQT to true will help? If not, are there any other option we can try? Or should we start transferring all her previous work, alongside LiveCode to one of our schools older laptops, in order to have her up and running in good time before her exam?

Regards

Tore Nilsen