Look and Feel in LC8

RM richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 13:00:52 EST 2016

On 11.03.2016 18:41, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Roger Guay wrote:
>
> > I didn’t even know it was a property! I never used it as a delivery
> > mechanism, but rather as an early or preliminary detection/indication
> > in developing for other platforms. Thanks for the plugin in, Richard.
>
> I hope you enjoy it, but I would caution against using the lookAndFeel
> for anything other than nostalgia:  for many years the appearances it
> emulates bared ever less resemblance to their modern counterparts, and
> with modern OS X, Windows 8.1 through 10, and the wonderful Gnome
> Shell, Unity, and KDE desktops for Linux, nothing in the modern world
> bears any resemblance to the yesteryear appearances emulated with LC's
> lookAndFeel property.
>
> In fact, I think that for everything from font metrics to control
> shapes you'll find greater consistency among the native themes for all
> three desktop platforms than between any of them and any of the older
> emulated appearances.
>
> But -
>
> If you're looking to provide something that looks like NeXT, making
> everything gun-metal gray and setting the lookAndFeel to Motif does a
> pretty good job. :)

I wouldn't doubt that about 90% of people currently working with
LiveCode are targeting
NeXT: although, personally, I'm targeting LaST.

No; lookAndFeel have had their day; if ever they had a day at all.

I have always developed stuff to look exactly the same regardless of
which operating
system it has been deployed to: life seems far too short to quibble
about the passing
show of operating systems' GUIs.

Richmond.