Look and Feel in LC8

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 11 11:41:34 EST 2016

Roger Guay wrote:

 > I didn’t even know it was a property! I never used it as a delivery
 > mechanism, but rather as an early or preliminary detection/indication
 > in developing for other platforms. Thanks for the plugin in, Richard.

I hope you enjoy it, but I would caution against using the lookAndFeel
for anything other than nostalgia:  for many years the appearances it
emulates bared ever less resemblance to their modern counterparts, and
with modern OS X, Windows 8.1 through 10, and the wonderful Gnome Shell,
Unity, and KDE desktops for Linux, nothing in the modern world bears any
resemblance to the yesteryear appearances emulated with LC's lookAndFeel
property.

In fact, I think that for everything from font metrics to control shapes
you'll find greater consistency among the native themes for all three
desktop platforms than between any of them and any of the older emulated
appearances.

But -

If you're looking to provide something that looks like NeXT, making
everything gun-metal gray and setting the lookAndFeel to Motif does a
pretty good job. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems