LC8DP15 feedback-IDE Issues

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Mar 3 10:51:26 EST 2016

On 2016-03-03 16:35, Mark Wieder wrote:
> I'm also curious now about the use case for cantSelect. I realize it's
> not going away since it's always been there, but I'm having trouble
> coming up with a scenario in which this is useful. My worry is that
> we're putting a pretty obscure setting front and center in a primary
> tool for stack design when screen real estate is already at a premium
> (e.g. we're already overloading functions into the PB.

The use-case for 'cantSelect' is to allow you have objects on a stack
which act as if they are in browse/run tool mode when the global tool is
not the browse/run tool. For example you can create a single stack which
has buttons allowing to (say) choose different types of graphic object,
but still allow you to create the graphic objects on that stack with the
standard graphic object tools. (i.e. You get a simple vector graphic
object editor).

In the IDE the 'cantSelect' property can seem strange because the IDE
shares the same notion of current tool that user stacks do. Ideally the
IDE 'tool' would be distinct from the user stack 'tools'; in much the
same was as ideally it wouldn't have to rely on the same set of object
manipulation messages as user stacks do (hence the current problem with
palettes not updating when lock messages is in effect).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps