LC8DP15 feedback-IDE Issues

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Thu Mar 3 00:29:57 EST 2016

> On 3 Mar 2016, at 3:27 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami <brahma at hindu.org> wrote:
>
> 0) Script editor needs its own top level icon in the Prop inspector! Already requested, but in DP15 it did not happen. If you need space then move the geometry manager icon off to the advanced pull down. Editing scripts comes waaaaay ahead of geo manager in dev priority.

What’s wrong with the bug Code button on the toolbar? I would say it could go where the prefs cog and just edit the prefs for the inspector in the preferences UI, however, I would note that we haven’t had a script button on the inspector for some years.

> 1)  the card title of prop inspector goes dim if you click on the stack. The greyscale level is so low i can barely read it.

This is just what happens to palette windows. I’m not sure how you are expecting them to fix that.

> 2) we cannot resize the content area for fields of custom props! ouch!

Yes it would seem reasonable to allow us to resize the custom control pane down enlarging the value field and put scrollbars on it. Perhaps the option to turn on and off wrapping would be helpful too.

> 3) after setting a color in the colors, there is no "Clear" option. you actually have to right click and choose "reset to default"  which is OK I guess once you try that, but newbies will be frustrated

Yes I suspect an inherited checkbox might be good there.

> 4) no tool tips for the icons at the top. Those who have poor visual memory (many coders do) will have this subtle "what does the icon do" reaction. Please add the tool tips.

I agree that would be helpful

> 5) Graphic effects icon doesn't make any sense... looks like another pencil or something. Better to have a small circle with a gradient or something.

I’m not sure about the icon but there’s some other issues here too. The color dialog opens behind the gradient dialog. It’s not intuitive that you need to choose from the types in order to add a gradient (perhaps a cancel button to reset to previous and apply a gradient from the start). Choosing reset to default presents the dialog in addition to clearing.

> 6) Entering custom props is messed up (already reported and confirm)…

Yes I reported an issue with the property not being set unless you click around and it definitely fails if you add another property in your clicking around.

> 7) Button icons icon doesn't make visual sense... find an icon that looks like an icon.

Works for me actually