LiveCode HTML5

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 28 11:25:09 EDT 2016

Todd Fabacher wrote:

 > I was just checking, I don't see a way to make an HTTP post back to a
 > web server.  Am I wrong? If it is not there...is it in the pipeline?
 >
 > I have a HUGE project that we are planning to do in Angular JS, but
 > would love to do in LiveCode HTML5.

LiveCode's post command will handle this with beautiful ease on all
platforms - except HTML5.

The current build of the HTML5 export is unfortunately an island at the
moment.  It does a pretty good job of bringing a stack into a browser,
but does not yet have connectivity with the outside world via sockets,
such as would be needed for HTTP.

For LC-built native apps this isn't a problem, of course.  And I believe
at least half of the use cases in which people think they need to
constrain their app within the confines of a browser could be more than
adequately handled with native app implementations, mobile and desktop
alike.

That said, there are some use cases that do require running inside of a
browser, and at the moment those have no means of using the browser's
inherent connectivity.

I believe this is being worked on now, but I don't have a timeline for
that delivery.

In the meantime, if the ever-growing ubiquity of native apps still
doesn't make them compelling enough to consider, even with the
increasingly popular hybrid model using an embedded browser within a
native app, another option is to use LC's wonderful layout capabilities
to generated HTML/CSS, though that still leaves interactivity to be
hand-translated to JavaScript.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems