"LiveCode Infinity": lexically-scoped variables and bytecode blocks

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Tue Jun 7 11:51:04 EDT 2016

On 07/06/2016 16:43, Ralph DiMola wrote:
> What about an enable "lexically-scoped variables in LCS" option check box in
> preferences or maybe an option in the stack so "lexically-scoped variables
> in LCS" is scoped by stack? The latter is probably the better option so
> existing library stacks won't be affected but a new main stack can have
> "lexically-scoped variables in LCS" enabled.

Lexically-scoped variables are completely incompatible with the current
execution model of LiveCode Script.  If you changed it, it would be from
many perspectives a different language.

I believe that Mark Waddingham has a plan, at some point in the future,
to change the LiveCode engine so that LCS is _also_ compiled to bytecode
and run in the same VM that LCB is.  Because variable scope is
determined at compile time, you could then have multiple "versions" of
the LCS language, which could all be run simultaneously and interact
with each other without any problems.  However, this would be a huge
project (in fact, the project is, fundamentally, the long term "Open
Language" goal).

On 07/06/2016 16:45, Mike Kerner wrote:
 > ick.  Ick all the way around.  More of "this me".

Yes, I'd personally like to avoid "ick" if possible.

                                 Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>
LiveCode Technical Project Manager