Temp folder on public computers

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jan 26 20:29:37 EST 2016

J. Landman Gay wrote:

 > I need to write a temporary file on computers that may be locked
 > down, such as those in a computer lab or library. Can I be fairly
 > certain that the temporary folder permissions will always allow
 > access?

Even if it were, on well-designed systems the temp folder will be
cleared on boot; on less well designed systems it'll be cleared under
circumstances your program may not be able to predict; in all cases the
data has no assurance of survival between sessions.

If the admins have locked down the Preferences folder or equivalent,
they've set it up to prevent user-specific data writes.  If so, writing
anywhere will be risky once they figure out they didn't do a complete
job and then nix the method you'd come up with.

Any chance they can tell you what they want?

Or use a network store?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems