Multi-platform development

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 20 12:58:51 EST 2016

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > On Jan 12, 2016, at 09:02 , Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> While it's true that Ubuntu and more recently Microsoft have begun
 >> exploring convergence strategies for a single adaptable, scalable
 >> set of UI conventions across all device types, the reality is that
 >> to date neither has been enormously successful (though the night is
 >> young, and the research and APIs still in early days).
 >
 > Adobe tried this years ago, with a feature that could take a regular
 > magazine layout (for example) and format it to display nicely in a
 > web browser or some other format. The idea was to design once then
 > deploy in multiple forms. It was a good idea. But it always required
 > some tweaking. Sometimes it required a LOT of tweaking. And sometimes
 > it didn't work well at all. The nature of the problem is such that
 > the solution can never really be perfect.

While it's true that mixing web and native app design is very rarely a
good idea (they're very different platforms serving very different
needs), mixing native app design across device types seems, at least to
me, a more exciting and viable prospect.

When I see any OS without design issues of its own I'll start to get
worried about multi-platform design challenges. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems