Windows 10 file paths

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jan 15 00:01:27 EST 2016

On 1/14/2016 7:04 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> On 01/14/2016 04:07 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> Does "there is a file" on Windows
>> return "false" if the user doesn't have permission to access the file?
>
> I would hope so.
> Do you get anything interesting by running "attrib"?

I'm not sure how to test that, since it all works fine for everyone
except those 3 people, and they aren't users we can actually ask to test
for us.

But I did some searches and found several indirect references to the
same problem in other languages (C#, php, java) and their "exists"
functions also return false if the user doesn't have permission to
access the file. I have to assume that's what's happening here too, it's
the only explanation.

We've asked one user to move the app folder to the Documents folder, so
we'll see how that goes. We think at least some of the affected users
may be running on public computers, which are likely restricting
permissions (which is why the app works on their thumb drives I guess.)

The surprising bit to me was that "there is a file" can return false,
even if it's right there in front of you. I'd have thought that it would
always return true, whether or not you could run it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com