Multi-platform development.

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Jan 11 11:06:29 EST 2016

I'm considering developing a multi-platform app; i.e. ont where the same
app runs on both "desktop" and mobile.

On the 'desktop' platforms it will use 'standard' menus, and that will
be the main "command" access (along with an optional toolbar, most
likely, but the toolbar will give access to a limited number of most
often used commands/features, rather than to "everything).

But, on mobile, there are no "standard menus", and although they are
appearing on a few apps (as homegrown menus), they aren't the usual
convention on mobile devices. So, I will have a combination of icons,
buttons, etc. on the mobile platforms.

I suspect that means I'm in the same boat as many other people have
already been in, and I'd like to benefit from your experience.

If you have developed an app running on both desktop and mobile:

1. did you follow this same split on how your main command structure was
invoked ?

2. how did you manage this ?
    a. really one app with per-platform customization
    b. two (or more) apps with as large a percentage as possible put
into library stacks (or similar) as possible, with separate menu-based
vs button-based apps.
    c. something else that you could readily explain :-)

Many thanks
Alex.