One Rect For All specificaiton

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Sun Jan 3 23:18:28 EST 2016

HA @ colin:  “Almost all of the things I’ve done have been ‘showAll’ "

and here I was thinking you were recommending  “noBorder” as the optimum development strategy.

But the whole exercise is still very useful. I think it is still the case that if you want to have someone (and need to provide specs and instructions) doing illustrations / or story boards for you—regardless of the LiveCode card size one choses to working—we *still* need to use — for instructions:

1400 X 900  (as a ratio on paper, it could be bigger in inches decimal) as the “you must fill this canvas wall to wall”

with 1200 X 788 (as a ratio, on paper it wouldbe an area “inside” the canvas) as the “Be careful that all your important elements fall inside this ‘safeZone’.

My current experiment in “noBorder” has the useful result that I can actually visualize the entire canvas on the card. Whereas with “showAll”  if you work in iPhone 6+ (16 X9)  then you can’t tell what is “lost” on the iPad and you can also get yourself in trouble by adding elements top and bottom (or left and right) that will not appear on the iPad. Since we are talking about 2D animation with illustration rich background content… it’s not something we can “fudge” at all.

But…with if you create a set of bottom tab controls for a landscape app in iPhone 6+(16 X9) and place these in the “safe zone” then use “no border” they will float above the bottom on the iPad (in landscape) where as if you build those to be at the bottom of the screen/card, “showAll” will be sure to place them there on iPad… at least I think… will have to test.

Colin wrote: "You could use the 1024x768 iPad preset and then have extra content that extends out to 171 pixels either side of the card, that you don’t normally se while working on the stack.”

But then wouldn’t you have the issue of losing the top and bottom if you run the same app in iPhone 6+ landscape?

So, now I’m back to choice paralysis on which way to go.

I did work out the 14 X 9 and 1200 X 788 with a young designer here and we transferred this to US Letter and made a template for him to work in storyboards into… and it seems to work pretty well. I will have to import his work into a 16 X 9 stack and try “showAll” and see what happens.

BR