One Rect For All specificaiton

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sat Jan 2 05:15:48 EST 2016

Hi Bramanatha:

It sounds like you're working at actual hi-res size when you may not need
to.  You should be able to lay out a stack at half your hi-res dimensions,
and the stack will auto-scale to fit the device. The only upscaling aspect
you really need to be concerned about is images. You can create sets of
images in multiple resolutions and rely on LC's density mapping feature to
display the appropriate image, or you might be able to use single hi-res
images, and show them scaled down on standard res screens (this might
depend on the image content). But for all built-in controls, text and
graphics, LC will do the scaling for you.

As an example, I always create iOS stacks based on the "natural" size (the
LiveCode folks also call it "logical" size) of the device. iPhone 5 is 320
x 568 or iPhone 6 is 375 x 667. When you lay out your stack using either
of these dimensions (note they are essentially proportional), the stack
displays as expected on the device.

I know there are a few folks out there who work at actual hi-res size, and
I understand they're constantly shifting their stacks around on the screen
due to the limitations of most displays (especially with portrait-oriented
layouts).  For myself, I'd rather be able to see the entire layout at
once, at near the same size it's going to appear when held in-hand on a
device, and let LiveCode take care of the scaling.

A great tip I learned from a colleague: When working at natural size and
you want to zoom into a stack to make some fine adjustment, simply set the
scaleFactor of the stack to 2, make the adjustment, and return the
scaleFactor back to 1 when finished.

YMMV.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design

On 1/1/16, 12:10 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Sannyasin
Brahmanathaswami" <use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com on behalf of