Detect scroll activity (when LC is not frontmost)

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 11:51:46 EST 2016

Aha: thanks.

On 12/25/16 6:39 pm, Mike Bonner wrote:
> The script does an end run of the whole situation.  The os itself is
> keeping track of the idle time between user events.  All the script does is
> grab the current value. And since only HID (human interface devices) are
> tracked, any mouse/keyboard activity in any app of the system will reset
> the timer.  So technically no, the scroll won't "register" in the lc stack
> (meaning it won't cause a handler to fire), but the OS does track HID
> actions..  All the stack does is request the information from the os (in a
> loop), that information being the time since the last user activity.

So, the inevitable question is how one would use an idle time value to tell
one that the end-user his performed a scroll (and whether up or down),
as all
those idle time values are are times in (?) micro-seconds.

I assume (?) that, somewhere in the belly of the beast (Mac OS) a HID
performed action
must register as such, and also as WHICH HID was used, and WHAT action
was performed on
that HID.

A forward scroll on my Belkin Nostromo is just as much a forward scroll
as one on my mighty mouse.

The question that started this thread concerns NOT whether one can pick
up signals that HIDs are
being used, but when they ARE being used, which of the activities being
performed is a scroll.

This seems remarkably like the problem with other people:

1. We can generally tell when brain activity is going on in other people
(however, c.f. catatonia),
and we can stick electrodes into parts of the human brain so that we can
pick up electric pulses
that tell us when the brain is receiving signals from outside the body.

2. What cannot (as far as I am aware) be worked out (if one is not
cheating and looking at who
is poking your volunteer in the stomach with a chopstick) is what is
being done to make the brain
register those signals.

Richmond.