compiler not catching bad exit within routine

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at
Wed Dec 7 11:13:03 EST 2016

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 3:21 AM, Dave Kilroy <dave at>

> Have you tried checking your script for invisible characters? Try copying
> the entire script to something like BBedit, selecting and copying it afresh
> there, deleting everything in the LiveCode script, saving it to ensure it's
> clean, pasting in the (hopefully cleaned) script from Bbedit and finally
> saving...

I didn't even have to go that far.

Pasting it into another script whole was enough for that; it gets found
there, and actually compiles & runs.

And to get it going, I added a new handler above it, and pasted a third of
it at a time, including spacing.

But that's the small stuff.

The real problem here is that the compiler is quietly failing.  the rest of
the script gets compiled, no error is thrown, and the problem can't be
found until another routine attempts to call this routine and it can't be

There *should* be an error whenever the compile fails to compile . . .

FWIW, this was the las hanger in that script, so I don't know what would
have happened to subsequent handlers.

Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

More information about the Use-livecode mailing list