Strict is in; lax is out

Mike Kerner MikeKerner at roadrunner.com
Mon Aug 22 15:16:01 EDT 2016

I can't stand strict.  That's part of the reason why I choose to use LC
instead of C.  I would rather have to find and fix typos in variable names
than have to coerce type changes when I want to do something with a
variable, or have to declare variable after variable after variable in a
block of code.  How about case-sensitivity?  Unfortunately, in LCB there is
more of that, as well.  It annoys me.  Our enterprise system's IDE is
case-sensitive, and every time I have to work on it I can't wait to be rid
of it.  If you read through the code for some of the widgets in LCB, you
will either be overjoyed, or roll your eyes.  LCB is less bad than most
other languages, but lazy compiler authors shouldn't win the day, the same
way that the personal trainer doesn't get to tell the client what they're
going to be doing for their workout, and grammar checkers don't get to
dictate your use of the subjunctive, or lack thereof.

And long live synonyms.  And beginning sentences or sentence fragments with
conjunctions.