Searching text external to Livecode

Peter Bogdanoff bogdanoff at me.com
Thu Aug 18 16:57:52 EDT 2016

> On Aug 18, 2016, at 2:52 PM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>
> Peter Bogdanoff wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if there a solution that search indexes folders of
> > HTML files that I can implement into Livecode? And also handles
> > non-English text?
>
> I've written a few specialized search engines and just started another one the other day for more general-purpose needs.  The upside is that it handles HTML along with some other formats, but the downside is it's decidedly English-centric (I use a Porter stemmer, and while I've considered using his variants for other Latin-based languages I have no such facility for languages like Chinese).

I’m not needing stemming, just a simple exact string search. I see that stemming is very difficult in Chinese.

> Scott's tool seems pretty nice.  Any chance you could just import your data into cards to use that?

That would seem to be a way of doing it. I’ll try it. Thanks.

> By "thousands", just how many thousands?

I’ve not kept track of how many. In running this script again I see that whereas in LC 6 the screen was locked, in LC 8 the screen is unlocking which is slowing it way down.