8.0.0 RC 1 Text Properties all gone?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Apr 18 14:26:22 EDT 2016

On 4/18/2016 1:01 PM, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> On 18/04/2016 18:42, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> On 4/18/2016 5:15 AM, Peter TB Brett wrote:
>>> For example, on OS X, the system font to be used in user text fields
>>> (Styled Text) is different from the system font to be used on Buttons
>>> (Message).
>>
>> Do you have a list of what each pseudo-font name relates to, so I can
>> attempt documentation? For example, I wouldn't have guessed that a
>> button would use a style named "Messages". And if a field uses "Styled
>> text" then what would plain "Text" be for?
>
> It's already documented in the dictionary entry for "the fontNames".
> Yes, it's only obvious in retrospect and no, I don't expect you to have
> known to look there.
>
> I personally really find the unstructured nature of the LiveCode
> dictionary pretty unappealing and I'd really prefer something much more
> coherently structured (like the Python reference manual).  However, that
> would be way too big a task, so we must make do with what we have.

Thanks much. Actually, I did look at the fontnames dictionary entry, but
it was a while back when the terms were first introduced. I don't recall
seeing the list at that time, but I probably have just forgotten.
Anyway, I'm glad to see them in there now.

Am I correct that the difference between "text" and "styledText" is the
same difference used in the clipboard array? I.e., it isn't really
related to the ability to edit? (Also, are there controls besides fields
that allow text editing?)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com