Widgets' Use Cases and Bytes Added to App

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Tue Apr 5 12:16:02 EDT 2016

On 4/5/2016 11:57 AM, Trevor DeVore wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 11:55 AM, Trevor DeVore <lists at mangomultimedia.com>
> wrote:
>

>> > I imagine the problem Paul is trying to solve ...
>> >
> This should read ONE problem Paul is trying to solve rather than THE
> problem Paul is trying to solve.

Actually, not so much maintain the custom control. It is the convenience
of having a custom control on a tool palette where I can just drag and
drop a copy where needed (like Widgets or "regular" Tools"). When you
drag and drop a wdiget in LC8 the details of that widget are sort of
hidden - unless you go muck with it in LCB. I'd like that as well with a
custom group of regular controls. I have been known, once of twice, when
tracing livecode scripts, to loose track of where I was and edit a
script of a customer control groups when I didn't mean to. A widget sort
of insulates you from that.

I wholeheartedly agree with Richard that even with widgets, custom
controls (groups) of regular controls with scripts (as just script or as
behaviors) still have a huge place in my development - far more than any
widgets I'm likely to build. The convenience of taking a custom control
and "moving" it in some way to a LCB Widget, would be really handy just
as a convenience for re-use of the custom control.

And, yes, before anyone says it, I do realize that I could create a
plug-in palette that have my customer controls on it that supports drag
and drop into a stack window, but I really just rather have it part of
the engine I subscribe to.