Script Only Stack Architecture

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 08:31:42 EDT 2016

On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 2:18 PM, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> Yeah, not my favorite either.

Whilst I don't wish to kerb anyone's enthusiasm to contribute to Max's
or anyone else's Wiki, I do have two concerns. Clearly, the spare time
of this Community to contribute to any community effort (be it bug
reports, code or documentation) is very limited. 5 min contributing to
a Wiki is 5 min not improving the actual Dictionary entry. Also,
Wiki's generally need an internet connection to access. I spend a LOT
of time with slow or no internet.

Richard wrote: "Drafting a functional spec and work plan would take
much more time", but clearly a LOT of thought and time has already
gone into the new Dictionary, it's markup, what kind of beast it is. I
like the fact that it's becoming the centralised location for
documentation, be it language (API) entries or guides - hopefully also
these new style Tutorials. Thankfully I can access everything
offline!!

When I wrote the Dictionary is a glorified Wiki, sometimes the term
'glorified' can have negative connotations. My intention was far more
positive, the Dictionary is a couple of steps up, on a much higher
plain than a Wiki. Although we've had Easter, here's a Dictionary
Easter Egg (although I'll probably discover everyone else knew this
but me)

In the LC 8 dp15+ Dictionary search box Enter 'button' - you should
have 3 exact matches. If you click on the 3rd one, you should get a
list of all* the messages that can be sent/received by a button,
followed by all* properties associated with a button.

*all being determined by each specific Dictionary entry having the
correct markup. If you click on the first Message link: arrowKey -
you'll be taken to it's specific Dictionary entry. Note the 3rd line:
Associations button. This is how the Dictionary knows. This is why the
Dictionary is better than a Wiki because the team has already spent a
lot of time with the Dictionary spec to take it well beyond a simple
Wiki.

PS Unfortunately if you click on the 'button' link against
Associations it doesn't take you back to the relevant button page with
all it's Associations. Hopefully they are working on that.

PPS I think Charles' offer to help handle DOC PRs for the Gitphobic is
a much better road to go down.