LiveCode repo name change fixer

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Sep 10 06:18:29 EDT 2015

On 2015-09-10 12:07, Monte Goulding wrote:
>> On 10 Sep 2015, at 7:13 pm, Mark Waddingham <mark at livecode.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm still not sure my decision to require a UTF-8 BOM at the start to
>> differentiate from a native platform encoding file was a good idea
>> though. I probably should have just assumed UTF-8 regardless.
>> (Hindsight being 20/20 of course).
>
> Would be nice if it doesn’t need to be there to make it easier to
> create them in external editors.

Indeed. I think this is actually something we can change without causing
any problems:

If a script only stack file contains a BOM at the start then engine only
processes it as UTF-8.

If a script only stack file does not contain a BOM, then it tries to
decode as UTF-8 if this fails it decodes as native platform encoding.

This should work because it is incredibly unlikely that a native
platform encoded textfile will appear as well-formed UTF-8.

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps