This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Sep 9 04:10:23 EDT 2015

On 2015-09-09 05:38, Mark Wieder wrote:
> 4. My pull request was passive-aggressively not accepted because
> "there's no way to review the changes".

I think you should perhaps look at the title of your post for an example
of passive-aggressiveness, rather than Ali's perfectly measured and
appropriate response to your pull request :)

We have been clear about what we can and cannot accept at this time as
community contributions.

We have been clear about what branch we would pull feature additions
into (that would be the develop branch which is 8).

We have been clear about the amount of work we have done on the IDE to
improve the situation in 8 - i.e. turning as much of the IDE as possible
into script only stacks.

In regards to binary stackfile contributions - I'm sorry but we simply
cannot accept them at this time. I think the community would be rather
unhappy if we did accept a binary stackfile contribution in which
someone had planted something nefarious that we did not see and ended up
adversely affecting their local systems on install in some heinous way.

Now, I'm not saying there is not a solution to this - but we don't have
one right now. How far off is a solution? I honestly don't know.

So, it seems to me, the best solution *right now* is that we all work on
the develop branch and therefore LC8. The develop branch IDE has a
substantial number of script only stacks which makes contribution (and
also in house changes - I should add!) a lot lot easier and more
transparent *and* it is only one branch to focus on so if a binary
change is required, a LiveCode engineer only has to go through and do
the necessary work once (which, I'd point out Ali quite happily did with
the contribution in question).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps