Silly conference survey

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Sep 9 06:41:58 EDT 2015

> The survey asked if one were likely to attend; but as the choice of
> where one could attend was restricted the results would be
> like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Err - no - we had a shortlist of areas in which we know we could afford
to run a conference based on the data that we have (i.e. get enough
people to buy tickets to attend so that we can pay for the thing).

The survey was about finding out which of those was likely to be the
most successful (in terms of a bums on seats metric).

> Had you offered, say, Munich or somewhere on the Pacific rim
> (Shanghai???) you might have got quite a few people to say they might
> attend; but by restricting the choices you will never know.

Indeed, we could have given a list of an arbitrary number of places -
Munich, Shanghai, Outer Hebrides, Tristan da Cunha, Nuaha...

However all that would have done would be to reduce the focus of the
survey, meaning results would have been spread making it substantially
less useful.

How do we know this? Because we've run surveys for conferences like that
in the past and they didn't really give us the information we really
needed because they were not focused and/or specific enough.

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps