Home servers, anyone?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Oct 27 17:11:11 EDT 2015

Bob Sneidar wrote:
 > OIC. I'm assuming you've spoken with the ISP about a fixed address.

I have a convenient 5-IP package at the office, but the price to get
that at home is way more than I'd care to pay, even for a single fixed
IP, since they only offer that for commercial services.

 > If it's a home level DSL, they won't want to do that, because
 > technically you aren't supposed to be running a server.

Some DLS ISPs don't care because that's provided over a dedicate copper
pair like the old POTS.  AT&T, for example, tells me straight up that if
I wanted to run a farm of Minecraft servers on my DSL service that's
okay with them (of course they may just be relying on the knowledge that
their DSL speeds are too slow for running any public server <g>).

Historically cable had prohibited servers because coax is shared with
neighbors.  But I'm finding more and more cable co's are so hurting from
backlash against the increasingly famous customer service (if you live
outside the US you have no idea how bad it is here) that they're opening
up on that, allowing at least personal home servers (and with the
growing interest in NAS/private clouds it makes good sense).  In my case
I went the extra mile and got explicit permission from my ISP, but for
the super-low traffic load I'm anticipating from my tests I'd doubt they
would have noticed anyway.

 > The best way to go about this is to set up an authoratative DNS
server for your "domain". Here's a good article on the subject.

 > http://www.boutell.com/innards/authoritativedns.html

I thought about that, but then I'd have to add DDSN under it and in
general I try to avoid having to maintain services beyond what I'm
working on.  I'm happy to leave DNS, SMTP, etc to others to take care of
for me so I can spend my time on HTTP.

Well, that and some superfluous LiveCode, of course. :)

Roger Eller wrote:

 > I know someone that had a dynamic setup like you describe.  It was
 > simple and easy for 1 person access.
 >
 > He had a local script checking the IP every 5 or 10 minutes (at home).
 > When it no longer matched the last known IP, the script would write
 > a small text file TO A WEB SERVER that was hosting a site he owns.
 > Then from anywhere, he could access that file to find his way back
 > home (so to speak).

Exactly.  I figured a quickie app to POST the current IP on boot from
the client would suffice for the cable service I have, and when
accessing it the web server CGI can reply with a 302 header based on
what it got from the home server's POST to automatically forward me to it.

It would probably be even simple and more useful to just use a DDNS
service like DNSMadeEasy as Graham suggested.  But that would still
leave one feature missing:  superfluous LiveCode. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems