What is "Open Language"?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Oct 27 06:07:49 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-24 21:08, Richmond wrote:
> I don't think that "RunRev doesn't care", but I think they have
> promised rather more than they are capable of delivering
> in a semi-reasonable time-frame, and as a resilt they have got a lots
> of people's expectations up in a way that may be
> quite unrealistic, and it might not be a bad idea if they did a spot
> of retrenchment instead of keeping quiet.

Well, I can certainly say that LiveCode Ltd. (we ceased being RunRev a
while ago ;)) does care - well, actually LiveCode Ltd. is a company so
being a non-person legal entity means it has no emotions. So I should
say, the people at LiveCode Ltd. do care. In fact they care a great
deal... Enough in fact that many of them have invested a good portion of
their lives and resources into the endeavour. All of them working far
beyond what anybody could necessarily reasonably expect.

> Certainly, if RunRev were to state something like this:
>
> "We would very much like to work towards Open Language, however we do
> realise something now, that we might have been
> unaware of in our enthusiasm over the Kickstarter and launching an
> Open Source version of LiveCode, so it would be unreasonable
> for users to expect anything near a fully open langauge sometime soon."
>
> That might let people who are wondering, that they care.

The point is that we have been working towards it continually. It is a
part of the long term plan we have for LiveCode. It is just that (as you
astutely noticed) the 'long' here is perhaps slightly 'longer' than we
had predicted and hoped for.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps