What is "Open Language"?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Oct 27 05:11:09 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-26 19:27, Richmond wrote:
>> I would love LiveCode NOT to understand the uncertainty of me.
>> Computers
>> should not be behave being as ambiguous as we humans are.

Quite - nor should programming languages be ambiguous. Indeed, for them
to be useful at all they need to be entirely unambiguous.

Open Language is the name of a parsing technology that we have developed
which allows a reasonable degree of flexibility in defining 'natural
language like' grammars (heavily based on abstracting the patterns
present in existing xTalks) in a way which means that there requires no
central co-ordination of the grammar.

Any ambiguities which occur due to using two sets of definitions from
two disparate parties who never talk to each other is easily resolved by
either preferring one set of definitions over the other, or marking one
token of a line which uses an ambiguous phrase with a disambiguating
mark.

There is nothing 'artificially intelligent' about Open Language - just
perhaps a bit of 'artificial competence' and 'artificial sense'.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps