Widget structure questions

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Oct 12 13:16:29 EDT 2015

Mark Waddingham wrote:
> On 2015-10-11 08:12, Mark Wieder wrote:
>> On 10/10/2015 12:47 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:
>>> Yes, I've been using them for a long time now and also wonder why they
>>> aren't in the dictionary.  I think I might have filed a bug report
>>> about
>>> that a long while ago but don;t remember for sure.
>>
>> Filed 16189 and 16190.
>
> They've never been documented because we've never put 'IDE only'
> functions in the dictionary - the latter always having been about what
> is available to an application you write in the IDE; rather than what is
> available to write a tool running in the IDE which helps to write an
> application.

The savingStandalone and standaloneSaved messages, along with their
mobile equivalents, are in the Dictionary.  There may be others if I
gave it some thought.

Plugins and other extensions exist in a folder, and the path to that
folder must be known to the IDE in order to use them.

Given the value of that information it seems reasonable that a function
exists to derive it, and the current name is as good as any.

Since the underlying implementation may change, we want to encourage
people to use the function, and if documented folks would do so, giving
the engine/IDE team all the flexibility they might need to change the
implementation at any time while giving developers a function they can
use to build useful things.

I see nothing but a big pile o' win here for documenting those path
functions, and the Dictionary seems a logical place to do it.

> I agree, however, that it is important for the tool writers that this
> kind of reference be available.

+1

--
  Richard Gaskin