Forking Versions

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Thu Oct 8 17:55:28 EDT 2015

Oh, you also need to add the official repo as a remote on your fork:

git remote add upstream https://github.com/livecode/livecode.git <https://github.com/livecode/livecode.git>

This adds the official repo as a remote named upstream which is the normal name of the original repo when you have a fork. Your fork is called origin. What you want to do is pull the changes from upstream (the company repo), make commits and push them to origin (your fork). If you have anything to contribute you can then send a pull request which is basically a request for them to merge in the changes on a branch on your fork into the official repo.

Now that you have added upstream as a remote you want to set the upstream of each of the official branches that you have checked out. Say you have checked out develop (livecode 8) then you want to do this:

git branch --set-upstream develop upstream/develop

This means that when you checkout develop and pull it will automatically pull from the upstream remote (the company repo) rather than your origin remote (your fork).

Anyway I hope that helps ;-)