Vector Images and the SVGL stack

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Mon Nov 9 19:27:28 EST 2015

I was simply commenting that my sense of SVG is that it is cost free alternative to Postscript, which has to be licensed by anyone who uses it. I could be mistaken. Postscript is of course, a great deal more robust. For example, I do not see anything in the SVG standard that uses color management (I may not have read far enough). I also didn't see anything regarding alpha channels or the like.

I'm not saying Postscript can be replaced ny SVG, it just seems like a poor man's alternative. LC will likely never support Postscript graphics because it would require an interpreter, which would cost extra and burden the rendering engine when used.

Now on the issue of things like blends and text within graphics I can see how supporing SVG in the engine would be a benefit as opposed to having to convert an SVG to something LC understands.

Bob S