[ANN] Text-file DBs

Paul Looney simplsol at aol.com
Sun Nov 8 19:01:12 EST 2015

Kay,

I do mention the different ways different OSes handle the CR/LF/CRLF. Going further than that is definitely beyond the scope of the work - and, to be honest, beyond my ability.

I can see where Unicode (non-ASCII characters) would be important to users of non-Roman languages (BTW, one of my favorite professors was James Heisig, SVD who wrote the series of books “Remembering Kanji”, volumes 1 to 3). I firmly believe that a database should contain as little “formatting" as possible - its purpose is to contain “data”. For our very much “Western”/“Roman” data we need nothing beyond ASCII - with only three formatting characters. There is no intrinsic reason that a text-file could not support Unicode data - but, for our use, that would make it much larger: slower to open, slower to search, slower to save, slower to copy, etc.

I will release the current work under a Creative Commons license - so wiser and more knowledgeable people can edit and add to it. Your suggestion would be a nice addition.

Chapter XVIII in the current work will be “Using Sockets to communicate with Text Files”.

Paul Looney