Tab control-multiple cards or hidden groups?

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Sun Nov 8 08:02:19 EST 2015

On 11/8/2015 7:27 AM, James Hale wrote:
> Recently there was some discussion concerning the use of hidden groups with the tab control. An app I am working on currently uses a tab control with five tabs that currently go to different cards. The cards concerned all share a number of other controls responsible for about 60% of their area with the tabbed panel taking the rest. Some of the panels are simply variations of another (e.g. Simple vs complex search).
> I am now wondering whether there would be an advantage in reducing these five cards down to one and use the hidden group method.
> Given I am not starting from scratch my question is, would there be advantages to me in making this transition?
> So for those of you employing this method, why do you?
> Is it having a single card script?
> Is it keeping the stack structure simple?
> Is it...?
> I would be very interested in your thoughts.

I use a single card and multiple groups when the majority of the UI is
(or will be) the same - i.e there would be a lot of common controls on
different cards

I use multiple cards when the UI for each card is substantially different.

So it is basically a linear scale with tabbed groups being on one end
where there a lot of common UI elements and tabbed cards being on the
other end with little common UI elements. Where the dividing line is is
probably a matter of personal preference. Organization of handlers plays
a role in the choice as well. Recently, I have been leaning more towards
multiple groups as I find accessing the objects and scripts in the IDE
via the Application Browser a bit easier.