How do you handle the poor performance of LC 7?

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Fri May 29 13:54:11 EDT 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 9:29 AM, Mark Waddingham <mark at livecode.com> wrote:

> The important thing here (which reinforces me saying 'real world
> scenarios' are important) is that if my goal was to optimise the engine to
> make simpleArrayTest fast then I could. Indeed, it would be possible to
> make it take virtually no time at all since it isn't actually doing
> anything - the subtlety of missing out the key step of what the (numeric)
> keys are being sorted by completely changes the intent of the code.
> There-in lies the danger with synthetic tests.

Several years ago (ok, it's really decades), Byte had a standard test suite
to compare compilers.

Then they hit a compiler that recognized nothing was done with the
information, and optimized the entire suite out . . . produced something
that executed in 0 . . .

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462