Accursed backdrop

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue May 26 14:31:30 EDT 2015

Richmond wrote:

 > On 26/05/15 19:10, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >> Ironically, last time I demo'd LC at a conference I had to run my
 >> presentation using a much older version because I make all my slide
 >> shows in LC and the current version has serious problems with
 >> fullscreen on Linux #14638 and 14640).
 >>
 >> And option control labels become unreadable once they get focus
 >> (#11676).
 >>
 >> And we're unable to copy or paste styled text with other apps
 >> (#13197
 >> and 14416), or when the Clipboard is too large (#13566).
 >>
 >> And sometimes the answer dialog opens behind other stacks, not seen
 >> by the user and causing confusion when nothing can be interacted
 >> with (#13888).
 >>
 >> And....
 >>
 >> I can appreciate the business case for focusing on urgent Xcode
 >> compatibility issues recently, resulting in several "Stable"
 >> releases that may be stable on Mac for iOS deployment but with
 >> enough outstanding issues on Linux that for a great many apps
 >> we're unable to ship professional work on that platform.
 >>
 >> It would be nice if iOS could settle down enough to let the team
 >> deliver a "Stable" build for Linux too.
 >>
 >> Several members of the engine team have done outstanding work on the
 >> Linux engine, notably Ali, Peter, and Mark when he has time, and
 >> Fraser's GDK integration and other efforts have been a godsend.
 >>
 >> But it seems they've had so many other priorities that they haven't
 >> been allocated the time to bring the same level of fit-and-finish to
 >> Linux as they do for Mac.
 >>
 >> I would welcome that as one of the goals for LC 7.0.6, at least for
 >> the top dozen or so most critical issues that prevent professional
 >> work on Linux.
 >
 > I would be interested to know how many of these problems/show-
 > stoppers are confined to Linux.

AFAIK the ones I listed here and the subject of this thread, the
backdrop issue, are all specific to Linux.

There are a few oddities on Windows that may be critical, and perhaps
even on Mac, but it would seem that the IDE team presumably uses Macs
more often so issues there tend to be found and resolved more quickly
than issues for other platforms.

In general, I find no problem shipping the apps I'm working to Mac and
Windows with the latest version of LC, but having option control
unreadable and being unable to copy and paste with other apps, etc.
prevent similar quality with Linux deployments.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems